Sunday, January 8, 2006

My Hair as DNA Model

I twist my hair often.

Let me explain for those who may not have encountered my texture of hair.

I have coarse hair. Some may refer to it as "black" hair, but I consider that a misnomer, because I have encountered caucasian people who get my hair texture and latin and afro-people with finer hair texture than I shall ever possess. What is possible with my hair is to style it in various ways. Over Christmas I had my hair "pressed" (treated with heat and conditioners for it to maintain a fine appearance. It was straight and combable.

Now I am back to the "curly". I have not "'fro'd" my hair in some time. The twists seem to have tamed the texture somewhat.
I like the twists because I find them easier to maintain than braids and I love my hair after undoing the twists. It becomes a mane of twists and sometimes that gives me a bit of daring..like I am on fire and can do anything. I am invisible with my hair!

To twist I take two small sections, about half the diameter of a pencil and begin twisting one section for perhaps a quarter of an inch. I twist clockwise. Then I take the second section of hair and twist it clockwise but twist it counterclockwise around the first strand. And I continue this clockwise twist, rope-making down the entire section of the two strands. I don't use a particular comb, just my fingers. Depending on how tired my arms are feeling I have taken as little as 90 minutes to complete my entire head to spending a couple of days on it. I usually ponytail the hair back as I am progressing further back along my scalp.

Depending on the mood of my hair I deeply condition or lightly condition. I like using a shampoo that repairs split ends and moisturizes as well. My hair may stay wet for hours after a shower, but I have noticed it doesn't maintain healthy moisture well. I use a shea butter hair dressing to keep it moist. I also venture using olive oil for deep conditioning, sometimes eggs...it all depends. 3 times a year I will go to my hairdresser Erica for her to trim it and to get my hair pressed for my students' graduation. It's also nice to run a brush through it and feel my scalp and not feel like I am bushwhacking.

Mas horita. My landlord just informed me she has someone coming to see the room. Nice notice.

No comments: