Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Mattress Fell Off

I am asking the computer to do a lot right now...play music, monitor any yahoo messenger messages, use a browser, and use a calculator. 9 Gigs of processing power and memory can handle but so much!

But last night was hilarity!

The sunset at was gorgeous. It bathed the entire street in a golden orange. The Bay looked like liquid gold...and I had a moment of peace when I introduced myself to new neighbor candace and her dog Apollo. Apollo is an intimidating chocolate pinscher type thing. He looks well pedigreed and was barking the entire time I was moving. in.

At 6 pm after doing a load to the new house and spilling brown rice all over my floor, I realized I needed help. I made panicked calls to Michael Paul, Kwesi, Michelle, Melissa, Diane, and Megan. I was like, um, I need help with this here move thing. I am at the garbage bag phase of moving...which I didn't want to do, but this is real right now.

My landlord said she had a tenant moving in on the first. Yes, this is why I am moving things now...I was a little irritated at this statement. If I thought I needed an extension, I would have asked for one.

So I call and ask for sleeping bags and hands. And the calvalry comes at about 7:30...first Michelle and Joe with Popeye's Chicken and I sheepishly ask for assistance shoving crap in bags and when we get the truck, assistance carrying it in. Well, they can stay for like 40 minutes...before Sandy will be gotten and I'm cool with that.

Spicy Popeye's, Biscuits, and Green Beans and Mashed Potatoes. I feel no judgement from Joe and Michelle, just understanding. That's awesome. I call Michael Paul though and he sounds annoyed just because the plan to pick him up has been confusing.

Okay...after a little nosh and chat I'm off to pick up Michael Paul and then off to Albany for the truck. I find Sandy's keys in Christine's house...all clean and neat and right on the dinner table...

Sandy could eat Jane for breakfast and have room left over inside of her. She's a big, new Toyota and sits HIGH off the ground. Michael Paul and I zoomed off in Sandy with the I Am Sam soundtrack in the cd player and we're debating whether I hit a raccoon on the way to the 80 from Cornell off Buchanan in Albany. I felt SUPER bad but saw no evidence of any animal...

Quick prayer to God apologizing for carelessly driving and continued on to the 80...
We arrived at the house and my room's chaos was translated to managable sacks and a clear path for the bed to come through. BIG YAY!

I can only imagine what Joe and Michelle found in my chaos, but I am thankful that they sorted through it. Melissa knocked at the door just as they were going out and to the bed we went!

First the sultan flat, then the mattress and then the cement blocks. The bed parts just fit in the bed with the corners shoved in. I figured at 40 mph, we'd be good.

So we pack things down and it's almost 9 and it's my goal to have people back by 10 pm because it's late.

Still no word from Kwesi.

We pile in the truck and head slowly to the tunnel and then onto the 580 from Lakeshore.

I am totally paranoid and am looking through the rearview mirror to confirm that I cannot see out of it. This indicates that I still have a bed.

We start the incline onto the 580, traffic is light and we're 2 miles away from the 35th avenue exit and home free.

One moment we're joining traffic and the next moment I can see out the back and exclaim,

Oh, sh!t! Where'd it go?


We can't see it immediately behind us and we're just passing the Park Street exit...we've gone like one exit????!?!?!

All of us kinda exclaim how are we going to get this thing...where did it go? What if it fell in the lanes? Do we have to call the police????

I pull off the next exit and return on 580. In my gut I am sorta laughing because I know this is life's way of reminding me that I am rushing...that I have 24 hours...that I have friends in the car...and that it's fine.

We pull off Lake Shore and turn under the freeway to repeat the last 7 minutes of driving.

Up the incline...no...not in the lane...not to the side...

The next exit comes up...and I wish I could draw it...

The mattress is perfectly poised in between the off ramp for Park and the freeway. It landed in safety where we could fit Sandy the truck and grab it safely and not have to risk our lives for a good night's sleep.

Hello? Stroke of luck?

That was hilarious. Too bad we have no camera...BUT we pause, enjoy the moment and take time to STUFF the corners DOWN so there will be no bouncing and I pull off the next exit to take the Macarthur to my house.

Along the way we see restaurants and so forth...

The parking is tight along my street, so I put on the hazards and we disembark like firemen and grab the bedding after releasing the tailgate.

The calvalry is GOOD. We place the cinderblocks and bed in about 10 minutes, chat a bit, laugh about the mattress incident and then I need to get Melissa back and Michael Paul back.

We have a good laugh along the way back home. I thank Melissa for the paella and ask Michael Paul if he doesn't mind returning Sandy with me to Albany.

I'm a little tired...and we switch Sandy for Jane. I return the keys to Christine, give her the 5 minute 7 minute adventure of the mattress and she laughs...I then remember Michael Paul is freezing outside. I hug and thank her and off to Jane we go.

He asks if I am in the mood for a movie.

I ponder...turning my brain off sounds good, but I am tired...I debate and then say, Sure...

But then he makes me PICK...keyripes. I know I want something brainless...and funny...I Heart Huckabees? Nah...Old School catches my eye.

I think...brainless, harmless...

And that's exactly what it is. Will Ferrell's bare @$$ is something I never need to see again, but that movie hit the spot. It was pretty hilarious, though anyone who's had the priviledge of Animal House, or even as Michael Paul pointed out Revenge of the Nerds...it didn't have the same bite, but there were some hilarious scenes.

Men recapturing brotherhood in a manufactured greek house. And their nemesis is the now dean, former person they bullied.

Heh. Backstory would have been fun, just to get a glimpse of the nostalgia these dudes claimed.

Vince Vahn during the wedding in the very beginning was hilarious and the really crappy wedding band made me laugh my @$$ off.


I'll be back. I'm making a first run to the new house! 1 of 3 for the day!

No comments: