Friday, January 13, 2006

Friday the 13th, Raleigh, Mami and Joe Bob Comedian at Charlie Goodnights

THank you Wake County Public Libaries for the hour and 3 minutes to check in with my stuffy stuff.

I am firing off a letter for Ms. Kimberly Acevedo to get her a scholarship to go to college because she's amazing. Go KIM!

I also would like to offer an account of life in the last 24 hours.

After sleepover I mis-slept a good 4 hours. This means I didn't wake until 5:30 am and that made me late for starting travel toward SFO to catch my 8:30 am Delta flight to Atlanta, GA connecting to Raleigh, NC after a plane change.

I rose, I packed, I showered and I skipped yoga and dragged my luggage (thank GOD for wheels) to the 51 Busstop at Motzart and Santa Clara. This was about 7 am, the fog was just beginning to break and there was a slight, chilly nip in the air.

My eyelids definitely had that burning sensation and the rash or whatever it is now on my face (POISON OAK? STRESS???) was definitely the first thing on my mind. Grr. Although now it would seem that I am an expert in all things related to skin ailments...hee hee.

Anywho...the bus came, was full, and I dragged my luggage toward the side doors. 15 minutes later I transferred to a BART at the 12th street station and began counting down the minutes. No way would I get to the airport by 8 am. Once I hit the surface on BART, I called Delta to change my flight.

The Delta folks were among the NICEST customer service folks I have ever encountered. 2 from India and two stateside...I was offered quick service, notified that it would cost a paltry $25 to change my flight to the 10 am and all was good.

Sure, my call dropped twice when I tried to finalize the reservation change and of course the battery was running out...but in the end all was well...and I got to rest AND my original flight was delayed for mechanical issues anyway...

Thanks to the gentleman at the counter at SFO I got on a flight to Atlanta with NO issues. Yay.

This allowed me time for breakfast and I was treated to some dim sum at the Fung Lum restaurant at SFO in Terminal 1.

I wanted something light and opted for spinach with garlic AND AND AND a lovely concotion called a shrimp banana roll that featured in a crispy rice wonton wrapper shrimp stuffed with sauteed banana. It's not a usual combination, but I have to say that the combo was FABULOUS...wow. With hot sauce? Stupendous! Along with my banana and tea, a lovely way to begin the morning. The sun was out and warming my face and I thought of seeing my family. It had been over a year.

Okay...gotta finish the recommendation letter...

the rest of the outline that happened goes like this:

1) Woke up on the flight with a 4 inch drool line which was none too cute
2) The country looks GORGEOUS from so far up
3) flying is magical
4) arrived in Atlanta and it was HOT! apparently we're having a heatwave and I feel dorky for wearing the wool jacket to "dress up my look"
5) Landed and treated the face for the inflamation before seeing the rents
6) Found the rents at baggage, my mom almost didn't recognize me...I think it's her vision. She looks great =) Dad showed up about 2 minutes later, as per usual. He told me I looked good. Both parents said I looked good, that my siblings look like thay have gained weight. I'll take the compliment.
7) We're supposed to meet my friend at the comedy club Charley Goodnight's...we arrive, we don't find her and the most ignorant, Joe-Bob redneck comedian is telling jokes about rednecks and mexicans. He's racist, sexist, a homophobe, and just not funny at all. He made some interesting statements about immigrants saving their money to invest in businesses, but I was so soured by his delivery that I was turned off. The only saving grace this man had was about a tornado in Rock Hill, SC (interesting town, BTW) that swooped up granny that while she whirled around in the twister he suggested he put a number on her ass because she was more fun to watch than NASCAR. it turned my smirk into a minor grimace. He was a dork.
8) Got to mami's house (tonight I'll stay at dad's house) and dad looked sad that I was staying, but she cooked arroz con gandules for me and some repollo (cabbage) salad with balsamic vinegar and anise seed...yum, BTW! and a thin steak. SO good to eat my mami's food! AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAYY!
9) She has a hard time getting to sleep, so we talked and she watched tv and I started falling asleep and got into the bed...SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE....
10) It's mami's Bday and I am taking her out for a massage and pedicure! Tomorrow DANCING! WOO!
11) FABULOUS breakfast here at the cameron village Cafe Carolina and Bakery for 4 bucks...with a sweet potato biscuit...YUMS!

Mas Horita!

No comments: