Saturday, January 7, 2006

Buscando Boricuas por el (la?) Blogosfera

Berkeley YMCAHoy empezo con yoga en Berkely con Shawna. Es amiga mia por Mitzi - mi hermana, mi corazon. Estuvoo un poquita nerviosa porque hace mas que 7 anos que no he tenido clase de yoga en un gym. (The last class I took was at Burning Man last year, but I felt unemcombered by the facilities. The desert morning was a gorgeous backdrop to gentle movement.)

The Y was surprisingly unintimidating. The instructor was a gorgeous 80 year old woman whose frame was sinewy and manner was patient and gentle. She had Long blonde-grey hair and calm, ocean blue eyes. Fair skin slightly kissed by the sun.I dug her.

On the drive over I thought about Y's all over the world reflecting all manner of faith/belief systems. Were there YMMAs? (for muslims), YMHAs? (for hindus), YMAAs? (for athiests?) YMJAs? (for Jews?) YMJnAs? (for Jains?) Were they all YMs? Were there YWs that served the same purposes? Why do I think these things as I drive?
We were doing mat work and I felt comfortable with the basic poses and learned some new stretches for the hips. There is something about rocking on one's back that I find so comforting.

In the class was a woman in the back. She had wavy mostly black hair streaked slightly with grey. Her skin was slightly bronzed, and her body was gorgeously tone. She may have been 42, but her face was lit with the breath of life and I had a woman-crush on her. Her frame was strong and she was there truly, engaging in the space and exercise.

Most of the class consisted of mid-life aged women, a smattering of men, some teens, and some 20/30 somethings.

We all followed along, no judgement. Quite nice. I think I shall try trusting group classes like this mor often.

After class Shawna and I enjoyed a loved brunch at Venus in Berkeley. We were greeted by a host, cropped black hair streaked with grey (theme for the day?) and a slight beard and moustache. I asked Shawna if he was cute. He had a nice smile. It was just nice to be greeted, welcomed into the space.

The brick walls are hung with beautiful paintings of female forms. The menu featured an indian breakfast with latke-like pancakes of carrot and zucchini and some curry flavour to them, chapatis, curried scrambled eggs, and a banana raita that was really yummy. I did have a craving for bacon, so I topped it off with a side order of smokey bacon that was wonderful.

Shawna and I caught up. I realized once we sat down that it has been MONTHS since we have seen each other. She's been helping her father with his illness, moving into her boyfriend's house, changing schools, and redoing her exams. And I've been joining Community Tech. organizations, river rafting with Project GO Project GOand friends on the Rogue. I'm moving. I am reapplying to schools. General moving and shaking.

We both are amazing women who occasionally battle with that lack of confidence. And it's cool to be able to write about it here without going back into that weird place.
1:15 of yoga is nice. It insulates your body and mind from those yucky things. Yippee!

The sun disappeared behind a spitting rain as we ate. We left the restaurant to the cacophany of drums. Was it a protest? As I drove her back to her car we saw that a drum line was performing at the downtown Berkeley BART station. Nice.

I drove her to her car, kissed her good-bye on the cheek, as is customary for moi and decided on the next adventure. I wanted bananas from the Mandela Market and on my way there I passed by The Crucible and picked up a catalog. I might have to take stiltwalking or firedancing to keep my mind feeling creative over these winter months.

(Okay, Rachid Taha is on my Lastfm.com player right now.."Made in Medina" which is just an amazing, frenzy inducing track...I remember at the concert that it just made the whole crowd go wild.)

Heh, I started this post because I was doing a search for fellow boricuas on the blogosphere...and I found a few. Check 'em out!

Juanda-No me la deje ahí Boricua updated 4 Jan 2006
Luisa Boricua updated 2 Aug 2005
Boricua does Everything updated 12 Nov 2005
Boricua en la Luna updated 14 Aug 2005

7,643 posts matching boricua. When I am less lazy, I will put links to them. Hee-hee.

I am going to pack some things and enjoy the afternoon before figuring out where my Project GO peps are to go Salsa tonight. A ver, la boricua is going to dance again! Muy bien!

No comments: