Monday, March 6, 2006

what do you do?

so, honestly, i know one of my friends is hungry right now.

i speak with her from time to time and i have to say, she's one of the amazing sages in my life. she's like a big sister to me.
i've known her almost 15 years.

over the last couple of months she and i have cheerleaded each other through our adversity. i was about to lose it when she took me firmly into her voice (it was over the phone one day) and told me that i needed to find faith in myself. NO ONE else could give it to me.

over the last couple of months, the synergy of personal effort, a circle of friends and family, and her words have burrowed and are beginning to germinate within me.

and so now the see-saw of life slams downward in her direction.

life does that sometimes.

she's doing an excellent job maintaining "the face" for the outside world.

but at home she's cutting the luxuries many of us take for granted. she's cut out public transportation -- because it was taking away from her food funds. (she happens to be unemployed, NOT because of lack of talent.) and she's been reducing her food bill...being clever to attend events where food will be present, going on dates because she know THEY will pay.

and she's continuing the search for work.

meanwhile i've heard a crankiness in her voice that's been increasing. i know that crankiness. i've been hungry before.

i called her on it. i asked her how she's doing.

she's a proud person. she's an honest person.

and she told me that it's not so cool lately.

when ramen noodles look like a feast to you, that's not okay.

so i told her on saturday that i would share with her. she's shared so much with me. it's been my spiritual food for years. and when i was hungry, man, people swoop to feed me.

it still happens today when times are a little thin (and when i don't have an event to go to where food will be present ;) ).

i'm a woman of meager means. but i've been budgeting a bit and i'm going to send her a little bit.
at first she was proud. she said, "but YOU need it."

well, i've been lucky that i've been eating regularly. (i consider that a measure of success.)
and i didn't get a cash advance this week. (i consider this a MAJOR measure of success.)

do i have money for a trip to the southwest right now? no. i'm hoping that will happen march 15th.
do i have money in the bank in case i lose my job? that 3 months emergency fund they suggest one has in case of emergency. not at all.

hell, i want enough money in the bank to start taking classes and to make me feel worthy enough to date, let alone own a home...

BUT one thing i know and believe in is that food is for sharing.

NO ONE should go hungry in this world. THIS IS NOT A TRITE STATEMENT.

we produce an ABUNDANCE of food as a world.
i see evidence of that with all the food that is thrown away in the garbage bins of san francisco, berkeley, and oakland.

this woman is my friend. she's a sister to me. if she's hungry I HAVEN'T DONE MY JOB.

i don't write this to tout any sainthood. YOU do the things to help the people you love, right?
i just want to make an appeal for you to open your eyes and heart to those people you may have been
out of touch with. someone you know may be in need. and YOU have the power to help them out, no matter
how meager your existance is.

do it.

No comments: