Monday, March 13, 2006

colbert is married.

stephen colbert is married. he was interviewed on city arts and lectures in january and it broadcast today on kalw.

i also saw streams of water pouring down oakland streets.

i also heard my friend's voice sound cross and impatient as i freaked out about finding a home before possibly losing my job and figuring out my deposit.

i saw men deluged, unprepared for the weather, clothes clinging to what must have become clammy skin later.

i became lost along the slopes of the hills.

i found peace in a tea house. not true peace. but i didn't feel i had to run there.
my hands were washed by agua de florida. i shared a tea pot of chai.

warmth slipped down my throat and to my hands as i cupped the cup.

i felt alone, despite a fabulous conversation with a boricua finishing her masters in public administration.

my friend played coltrane.

he let me nap on his floor as he listened to the finale of the celtics game.

i drove him to his evening practice.

i drove myself mad in search of an evening activity.

i bought a ticket to matchpoint.

i sat in the laundromat across the way until the theater opened.

i made friends with a little girl, speaking to her in english and spanish.
she rolled her glitter lipstick across the folding tables of the laundromat.
then she stood in front of me. i was putting appointments and deadlines in my calendar. i shook her hand and introduced myself as erika. her voice was low, but friendly. her smile betrayed her shyness.

i addressed her in english and she asked me what i was doing. then we sang the ABC song together. then she drew me two cats, a dog, and a duck on the back of my music.
i butchered a portrait of her in my journal.

we spoke of aviones flown to mexico to see her family.

i was so thankful that this little one made friends with me.

i showed her my music, explained to her in english and spanish that the music alphabet is different and only has 7 letters. i pointed out the notes and lines of the staff and we read them togehter...a, a, d, d, g, g...

her mother came over, was pleased. i introduced myself to her. her smile said she was pleased. she kissed me goodbye on the cheek. this is how we address elders as latinos. and i shook her mother's hand goodbye.

i wanted to tell her how wonderful her daughter is. how smart.

my tongue was locked in my mouth. my bilingualness was stuck.

the rain stopped and i crossed the street to cue up for the film.

No comments: