Saturday, March 11, 2006

Bs

I have found another sublime dining experience in Downtown Oakland.
Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce a comfortable spot with all the bells and whistles (like Luka's) - B's Restaurant.

499 Ninth Street.

I was ravenous last night. I had spent my day holed up in my room, Saddam Hussein-stylie. I showered and then held it down in my room until 8 pm. I was HUNGRY and my roommate was playing some horror film really loudly, so I had to GO.

My original hankering was for Golden Lotus. Vegetarian so I could clean my system. I walked in at 8:50 and the host apologized they were closing early.

D'oh! No!

Next was Luka's. Luka's ALWAYS satisfies me...I did a drive-by...and it was ridiculously packed. My stomach would devour itself by the time I got bread and water.

Cafe Van Kleef?

I walked up to the doorman and they were no longer serving food.

It was 9:30 pm on a Friday in downtown Oakland and I wanted a place where I could sit with my thougths, perhaps read, write...a coffeehouse feel with a real meal...and I wandered around in a little part of town where I see outdoor cinema. 9th and Washington...the wives market it down there. And some small shops. Oakland is just beginning to develop it as a neighborhood, but there isn't the critical mass of residents there yet. A few Oakland staples like Le Cheval are down there. I passed by Jesso's Seafood, and I decided not so much, because it was bumpin', social.

Kittycorner to Jesso's was a place with lage open windows, tea lights on every table, and a beautiful large painting with bold red strokes that struck me as the most intimate view of the inside of a flower...perhaps a zinnia.

I was in my jeans, my purple plaid fleece and hair scarf and completely unintimidated. I love a beautiful meal.

With my backpack and raingear jacket I crossed the street, noting Oakland's professionals beginning to populate the little clubby spots. A lot of different faces, but mainly brown faces dressed and pressed.

Nice.

I perused the menu from outside. The beet salad and variety of duck offerings and boar poasta struck me. The prices were reasonable and I deserved a treat. Erika wanted dinner, wine, dessert, and some quiet time.

Nina Simone filled the joint. Beautiful rich, wood with lounge-style tables and chairs with flair and no pretention. Exposed brick wall and the kitchen is the mainstay of the restaurant. I walk in and see the oven where I will learn they bake my feta appetizer.

My host welcomed me and allowed me to choose my table. I chose one by the window, and sat.

My choices from the menu were boggling, but my host assisted me. I forewent the vegetables, save for the organic greens with truffle oil served on my boar. My feta appetizer was an amazing little skillet with grilled artisan bread toast, baked garlic, sweet onions, and tart green olives.

The soup of the day was a warm, rich green nectar topped with handmade potato chips. Served in a stylish squarish white bowl. Amazing.

(ack. more later. i have my doctor's appointment...) 8:59 am, Sat...

No comments: