Sunday, March 19, 2006

house hunt continues and thank you n. and youth speaks

gorgeous day.

early day.

my eyes are still tired from dancing last night, but my body is joyful for having pounded the floor with my feet and conjuring the spirit of joy and sweat with my arms. i stood at the edge of the dance floor, by the patio and so as i danced i was refreshed by a consistent breeze.

this morning i barely woke at 8 am for my shower to make my 9 am apartment appointment.
i wove through Oakland's geniusly labeled streets where numbered avenues and streets intersect.

my dyslexia transposed the address and once i figured it out, i was 12 minutes late for my appointment.

up and down a hill, i found the creme unit with the lemon tree out front. and i climbed a stair to find Mo and his son, y a HUGE dog in their flat. y le pregunto after seeing the cuban flag up, "Son cubanos?"

Reponse? "No, boricua."

Dang. I love meeting my people randomly.

His son was pale and wide-eyed. His hair was straight, dirty blonde. So small, about 18 months and he tottered as he walked. Walking was a skill he recently mastered. His dad went to get something from the car and I extended my hand to his son. He grabbed my hand and we walked to the back to see...

MY APARTMENT.

The layout of this studio is perfect. Bathroom to the right -- with a clawfoot tub. To the left, a high ceilinged living room with an office inset, or where I saw my bedroom with a closet. The kitchen was a step upward with a gas stove and plenty of clean cabinet space.

And the sunlight was gorgeous.

I LOVED IT.

I shook hands and PRAYED I get this place.

Then I headed to MaryAnn's for my appointment. After that I got a call from Neils. We're on for lunch and I am off to see more places.

Man, what $650 buys one in Oakland is completely dependent upon...well, it seems random. One block difference can mean a lovely little spot or a neglected spot. It can mean the difference between just a shower stall or just a tub. It can mean that the last tenants left cat litter in their haste to leave. And it can also mean that the linger of smoke rises from the carpet that needs to be replaced.

But that's in the fairly safe downtown neighborhood.

The apartment I loved is above the hood because it's at the top of a hill. The complex seems quiet, but I wonder what it's like at night, what sounds one hears. I'm curious.

The day was GLORIOUS.

Afterward back to Berkeley. I was to meet Mr. N at his house and then we would grab lunch from there. He bought us apples and we walked to a great bakery/deli on University. Excellent breads, LOVELY salad and sandwich choices. Yay. Dutch treat.

And we walked and chatted. He's philosophical and I wished I had my kite with me.

The afternoon lazily passed as we just talked and talked and talked.

We enjoyed a little Gewirtraminner. I enjoyed the view of the city from his rooftop.
Life, my friends, is good.

At 6 I bid him adieu, but not before learning he's training for the Ironman in September and is considering an internship in NYC for the summer. Neato.

The traffic sucked, but I imagined myself inside the SF opera house being in the slam. With that faith, I braved traffic. I found a parking spot by the public library, and I walked toward the theater.

Like an angel, a director from the Center for Young Women's Development was on the phone, talking about having an extra ticket.

EXCELLENT.

I said hello and she offered it to me.

EXCELLENT.

And I went upstairs and I found an aisle seat.

EXCELLENT.

And I was filled with words from some of the Bay Area's most talented young people.

The material was smart and funny and jarring and amazing.

I arrived almost an hour late and I left after 11 pm.

I kissed hello to my Youth Speaks friends and I bought my AfroPuff Girls t-shirt.
Aya de Leon created them. Friggin' awesome.

And I was inspired to write and felt stunted to express myself.

I think that's due to the collective effect of lack of sleep.

Tonight I sleep. Tonight I commit to 8 hours sleep.

But I am satisfied.

No comments: