Thursday, March 30, 2006

DCYF Youth Grantee Reception

This evening I attended a San Francisco reception for several organizations that received sizable grants from the city to continue their work.

I know most of their work well: HOMEY, the Center for Young Women's Development, Chinese Progressive Association/People Organizing to Demand Environmental and Economic Rights, Samoan Community Development Corporation, Chinatown Community Development Center, California Youth Connection, and Communities in Harmony Advocatiing for Learning and Kids (CHALK).

The reception was not a boring, silent, awkward reception.

Held at the Conscious Youth Media Crew's offices on 10th and Mission Streets in San Francisco, it was a full on celebration including "hella food", dj, dancing, representation of skills, and comradery among organizations that are doing similar work, but who barely have the time to spend time with each other because of the work they are doing.

I was really caught up with two performances.

One of the youth emcees was a former student of mine: Gladys. She's amazing. Amazing graphic skills, but the knowledge that spills from her mouth is amazing. Absolutely amazing. She ripped the mic with spoken word.

And another gentleman danced his @$$ off with a dance crew made of youth from Oakland and the Bay View. I am sad to say I don't remember their name, but if you've seen RISE, man...seeing it live was just, well, sick. Just straight dope to see people move their bodies like that. One of the guys was sporting a sweatshirt from one of my former students who passed away last year. I went up to him at the end of the reception and he said she was his best friend, his first friend when he moved to California. Tay, thank you for inspiring this young man to dance. He honors your memory when he dances and he truly is your friend. When I spoke with him I became emotional.

I'm excited to learn more about organizing. The youth organizing movement is really strong in California. Whereas I spent most of my youth delving highly into academics, youth here have a voice and know how to SPEAK ON IT.

I can't wait to marry the two...my brains with my personal conviction and voice. I'm about to experience a growth spurt, methinks.

No comments: