Monday, March 27, 2006

3 limbs = 75% up and running, er, hobbling





The Fabulous Michelle, My Wifey

hi.

the last week has not been ideal. but we've come away with some epiphanies.

like: no matter how bad you think things are, there is always the chance they can slip into worse or get miraculously better.

i did, in fact, come down with shingles. searing pain down the left leg, a weird rash that follows the ganglia from the base of my spine down my left leg, and the inability to move without wanting a hacksaw to remove the limb that was causing me said pain.

today i am in my office. i am hobbling rather well and thanks to a miracle named "vicadin," i have slept peacefully for the last 3 nights.

i thought i would abandon the blog thing, because things, from erika's perspective, had gotten to the point where i hoped i would be involved in some freak accident and be in a coma for 3 months and wake up refreshed and with a new lease on life and all would be well.

the accident didn't happen. instead the last week featured:


  • i was introduced to the gorgeous, 1972, saggitarian, john abraham in water.
  • lots of rain and hail and tears
  • a lot of pain
  • lots of phone calls for potential places to live
  • lots of help support from friends, especially: fumi******, denise, solomon, ev, alfred, mary ann, houman, my mom, diane, marc, and my wifey michelle

    (fumi needs a whole blog dedicated to her because she's the friggin' bomb. in the last few days she's introduced me to vicadin, decent sleep, friends who helped me move last minute...good times, overall.)

  • lots of sleepovers (because my precarious housing situation is exhausting me)
  • an amazing performance by cesaria evora that got my in-pain, hobbling booty up to bob up and down (and that still was better than the staid-sitting-in-chair move that most of Zellerbach Hall was doing!)
  • getting a storage unit
  • flying my kite at the beach
  • MMMMM family style shanghai dinner with lion's heads and all kinds of yumminess that is not lent sanctioned and i enjoyed every bite
  • re-intro to the book: feeling good. (which won't guarantee that anxiety and depression will disappear, but it definitely is providing some decent tools. while i was holed up this weekend, i read a bit of it. me likeys. it feels non-judgemental of the whole mindset thing.
  • and an apartment that is not a rat infested, crystal meth den.


so there you have it. i am still tired and in pain and rashy from this shingles thing. sleep is, like, essential. and vicadin is nice for that. although i tried vicadin-free sleeping last night. it was okay, but it was not fully restful.

see the pictures of the most beautiful wife a heterosexual woman could ever have: michelle? i met my wifey michelle at burning man in 1999. she's a fellow sagg and part of the saggitarius 3 (myself, michelle, and huy), an amazing food magician, ridiculously intelligent, supportive, loving, sister, patient, creative, beautiful...i could go on and on. houman sent pictures out, so i think i will start lauding how awesome people are because i have a new lease on life, in addition with my new lease. beginning with my wifey, michelle, cause houman sent pictures. tee-hee.

i missed this ol' blog.

and now, a moment from yogi bhajan today:


The flow of life is continuous. Like a heart, it continues beating. And that continuity needs devotion to keep it going. When there is not devotion there is a tremendous amount of fluctuation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so does this mean you found a place? If so, YAY!!

wrki said...

yes. i got the call yesterday and i have a pretty, shiny, with a full on bathroom, kitchen, storage, carpeted studio above the fruitvale hood and my building manager is boricua.

neato, no?

Unknown said...

Great to hear the news! Coming from someone whose eyelid was the size of a walnut while breaking out in hives simultaneously, I know the crap that the body sometime throws back at us.

And you're hobbling, which still equals movement and energy. You're not statiionary.

So go forth, young Jedi.

----------

BTW, John Abraham is the actor you're referring to.

PS. When do we get your new address?

wrki said...

oh yes, john abraham is all manner of faine. i am so embarassed to say.

and to think with some work i TOO could be a GORGEOUS bollywood actor!

WOO HOO!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I just read this and am so worried about you! please let me know your snail mail address so I can send you something to help out!

Rachel "Rainy" K.
rachelmichellek@yahoo.om