Sunday, February 5, 2006

It's Friggin Game Day, Dude

I don't know if any of you believe in werewolves.

When I woke up this morning it sounded as if a large, growling being was hovering on the other side of my closet...in my roommate's room. I was disturbed and just remained in my bed, sealed my eyes shut and fell asleep. That was weird.

I'll have to check out my lycanthropy resources to see the symptoms of werewolvery.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Good Morning.

It's 10 am and it's game day.

Sure, I haven't been crazy about football until the last couple of months. I got really excited when the Carolina Panthers were in the playoffs.

And I got PISSED when they bit it.

But I've recovered.

We still have an East Coast/West Coast Matchup.

That's all I care about. And I'm an east coaster. My prejudice shall come through here.

(I've discovered the source of my werewolf. My neighbor's dog, Apollo, is barking just now and I am thinking that might be my werewolf. Although the roommate has been coughing. I'll take some Airborne before greeting him a good morning.)

The Pittsburgh Steelers is a team I remember from second grade. They were a powerhouse. Brian Williams was in my class and wore a Steelers jacket. I think he had a Steelers Trapper Keeper, too. He was blonde, hand brown eyes and a deep voice for a 9 year old. Kinda scratchy. He had a keen sense of humor and sometimes could be seen as the class clown.

Pittsburgh? I almost applied to Carnegie Mellon. I lived in Mechanicsburg, PA. (They were more Eagles fans near Harrisburg.) I have a love for the hard work that it takes to be a steel mill worker. The conditions are toxic and yet our fabulous structures are dependent upon craftsmen and women who work with steel.

You gotta love a place that birthed Andy Warhol, Jeff Goldblum (HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!) Jeff Goldblumand Gene Kelly. More famous Pittsburghers?

About.com has a lovely list:

Celebrated Artists
Many great artists and sculptors have called the Pittsburgh area home, including Mary Cassatt and Andy Warhol.

Well-known Writers
Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania have nurtured several authors, writers, and publishers, including Rachel Carson and August Wilson.

Industrialists/Philanthropists
Meet some of the great industrialists/philanthropists who played such a huge role in shaping Pittsburgh into what it is today, including Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick, H. J. Heinz, Richard Mellon Scaife, and George Westinghouse.

"Note"worthy Musicians

Many great musicians and composers have their roots in Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania, including Christina Aguilera, Perry Como, Billy Eckstine, Stephen Collins Foster, Lorin Maazel, Henry Mancini, and Barry Manilow.

Prominent Pioneers
Learn more about Pittsburgh's famous pioneers in science, journalism, and medicine, including Nellie Bly, Rachel Carson, Frank Conrad, Samuel Langley, Jonas Salk, Robert Fulton and Thomas Starzl.

Sports Legends
Pittsburgh's long history of professional sports has produced some of the greatest athletes and legends of all time, including Kurt Angle, Roberto Clemente (he's Puerto Rican, sorry Pittsburgh), Mario Lemieux, Dan Marino, Bill Mazeroski, Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Arnold Palmer, and Johnny Unitas.

Stage and Screen

Meet some of the well-known actors, dancers, and producers of movie, stage, and television who hail from Pittsburgh, including Jeff Goldblum, Martha Graham, Michael Keaton, Gene Kelly, George Romero, Jimmy Stewart, and Sharon Stone.


(I just got out of the shower, am in my towel and that sunshine is streaming from my south-facing window and feels EXCELLENT on my left arm. Spring is here!)

I like Seattle just fine, but Pittsburgh has soul and grit and could use the financial boon that comes from dominating in an athletic tournament.

So I might plop down my five bucks at the Parkway but Michael Paul was talking about Storm brothers doing BBQ in their backyard. Since it's such a gorgeous day, that might be hard to pass up.

I had some self-esteem going on last night. Since most of my clothing is still in boxes and I wanted to look cute AND I needed to wear red for the the Gung Hoy Fat Choy party I rummaged through a box of hats and scarves and stuff.

I found a scarf a student (Edward Shi) gave me. It's a large scarf with a beautiful pattern...and could I use it as a shirt? YES!

It's large enough to be a blouse, so in my self-esteem, hipster fashion, I form a large triangle to cover my front and double-knot the back so it doesn't slip.

I have to say that I felt pretty fly. My hair curled in a cute way with the Trader Joe's Conditioner.

Along with the hip-hugging jeans and pearl collar and the black leather jacket, woo! Erika era una mami caliente! (Well, at least I didn't think I was a troll last night.)

The radio was playin' some fabulous pop and I stopped by Farmer Joe's to get some beautiful orchids for Denise, Melissa, and Jason and Ellen. I felt GREAT! It was Saturday night and I was going out!

Yee-haw!

No comments: