Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Ghost Cat on the Fallen Tree

The ghost cat on the fallen tree gazed upon Kayla and I. Larger than the average cat, with an inset face, like a snowy owl she crouched and followed us as we head up the hill. The same cat as last evening.

Is she protector of Glen Park?

I cannot know.

This second late-night walk with Kayla is meditative. We're in the city, but not in the thick of the city. We can hear the din of the city just fun from where we are. Our surroundings are rows of homes with smart front lawns and fencing, and potted hedges.

There is a quiet that begs the question, "What happens behind these doors?" The residents within keep very much to themselves, being sure not to disturb a single soul.

Kayla's nose follows a trail completely invisible to the human eye. Down Surrey and up Swiss and over to Sussex. Houses are quiet. Trees are neatly contained. Calla lilies bloom as an early gift of spring.

The night is a hair shy of warm. My barbaloot suit shines as fine coverage for the evening. We only encounter two moving veichles in the 20 minutes we pace the neighborhood.

I note the stars above and the surrounding skyline all around. Kayla is my friendly companion, leading me through this wall-less maze of her trail. I follow, pausing only at crosswalks and when her leash veers to my right side. I carry the leash in my left hand and her on my right side makes wielding it awkward.

Today has been a successful day: 1) letter drafted for the GirlSource monologues, 2) minor troubleshooting of machines, 3) correspondance surrounding the CTN Steering Committee, and 4) Orientation into the Full Circle Fund Community Fellows program.

The weather was gorgeous. Absolutely summery and I realized when I got dressed that somewhere in my Oakland room my shows lay askew. On my feet now are the slippers I left the house with. My feet are painfilled with blisters from a pair of kick-ass boots lent to me by Abigail. I don't have socks with me, which would have softened the proverbial blow. These boots gave me confidence today, but they HURT. They hurt A LOT.

No particulate news stands out today. I contacted the Castro theater about letting my girls volunteer for their Vday event in exchange for watching the performance. I want to explore my workstyle and some time management tools to help me make the best of my time. I find that I write things in different places and then have a challenge resolving my schedule. I double-book myself a lot by having the phone and written calendar. Whoops!

Kayla is half asleep behind me. I'll invite her to the couch in a moment. She was my companion last night, watching guard so that nothing was to harm me. It's a welcome feeling. Thanks for being my guardian angel, Kayla. Let's send some of those healing vibes to mom.

No comments: