Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Stairway...

I'm drawing up notes from last night's meeting and attending to a view admin details before returning home this evening and listening to lastfm's music under the category "violin".

And I hear the first few pluckings of guitar strings.

And I recognize it. I recognize Robert Plant's voice on "Stairway to Heaven."

My sophomore year in high school I was on a committee to plan a mass. I was at Trinity High School in Mechanicsburg, PA. Dzung Nugeyn was on the committee and a fabulous musician in one of the school rock bands.

We thought it would be beautiful to have Stairway as one of the musical pieces for our mass.

This motion was derailed by our religion teacher.

We planned in the chapel of the school - banners for the mass, readings, music.

And then her hulking body came in and told us the song was inappropriate for mass.

We weren't using the lyrics of the song. We thought the music was meditative, a state that mass would benefit from.

That was a moment indicating how adults can demoralize the enthusiasm of young people.

I wonder whatever became of Dzung? I wonder whatever became of that particular teacher?

No comments: