Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Confessions of a Dishwasher

04.18.06

dear mami,

i wanted to write to tell you how right you have been.

yesterday i woke up at my friend michelle's house, checked on her cats, and then stole away to my house to shower and change.

as soon as i walked into the door, i was drawn to the kitchen.

i noticed that i had been soaking a few dishes for the porqueria that was crusted to them. the strategic soaking seemed to have worked. and so i donned on my pink dishwasher gloves (the same pair i used to clean up after my poison oak attack), turned on the sink, and i took a scrubby sponge into my hand. i poured a teaspoon of dishwasher soap (mrs. meyer's geranium scented) into it, and as i made a circular motion to wipe away the porqueria i thought of you.

i stood at my sink, bathed in morning sunlight like a commercial. i hummed.

i actually did my dishes because i wanted to.

i know that you wouldn't believe me if i just called to tell you i wanted to do the dishes. creo que eso te dara un ataque de corazon, so i blogged it instead for all the world to be my witness.

then when i call you to tell you how right you have been all these years, you won't think i am lying.

as a confession, mami, i have enjoyed doing dishes in other people's houses for a long time. and i think when i visit i also lovingly do dishes.

y, por que?

because it gives me a sense of satisfaction and pride that i accomplish something practical. i help someone who has cooked for me and it's the least i can do. and i like watching soap suds.

so, mami, i confess to you. enfrente de todo el mundo del blogosfero y el internet: i love doing dishes.

and now i get to enjoy it in the privacy in my own home where there is no animal hair, other people's dishes, or other reasons to derail me from the pride in my work.

que rico, mami!

te quiero muchisimo. and thank you for being right.

siempre tu hija mayor,

erika

1 comment:

wrki said...

Rachel K?

Girl, how are you doin'?

~ E