Saturday, June 17, 2006

World Cup, Sleep, Dad's Home, Sleep

Thursday morning featured and earthquake.

I drove home from Dancho's house a few hours afterward and went back to sleep before going into work.

My level of motivation has been slowed due to my worrying about my father. He was in the hospital for his birthday.

My sister flew into Raleigh on Friday and I spoke with my dad this morning. He's back in his house, but he will not be flying anytime soon.

I don't know why, but I spaced on the idea that flying would effect his ability to fly.

Silly Erika.

Thursday afternoon I watched 5 of my students cross the stage and graduate high school. Inner city youth of color are not doing so well in the high school graduation department. GirlSource girls tend to be exceptional among the bunch. We have something like a 96% graduation rate. Something to be proud of.

Thursday night I zoned out.

Friday morning I zoned, but found coverage of the World Cup in Spanish on an am station...AM 1170 or something?

The coverage was animated. Much more than I was. I was a sloth in my bed...half wishing I was in Raleigh and the other half not wishing much of anything. I was out of meds and meant to run errands, but I couldn't get motivation to do much of anything.

At 11 am I willed myself to catch the Angola/Mexico game in public. I showered, I drove to Luka's and had lunch and watched a defensive match. The final score was 0-0. The crowd in Luka's felt dissapointed not to have a catharsis from the experience. I was mesmorized to see the determination between the teams. And the vexing each caused the other side.

After lunch I drove back home and managed to motivate enough to sort through more papers and send more to recycling. I also cleaned up my kitchen.

It looks so much nicer now that the dishes are done and the counter is cleared of its clutter. I need to buy some groceries. The weather is getting hot, so I should focus my energies on savory salads and fruits for my sustanance.

I half listened to the Tavis Smiley Show, and Up Front. I took inventory on my laundry.

I really need to do laundry.

The kitchen sapped me of my energy. I spoke with my mom, my sister, my brother and my father.

My head was throbbing, perhaps because my seratonin levels were off and I slumped into my bed and fell half asleep in muggy weather. I rewoke groggily as the afternoon sun sank.

Hunger overtook me. I had no idea what I wanted to eat.

I answered a call from my aunt and we discussed my mom, Dancho, NY weather. We laughed about men in general. Her humor put me in a good mood and I thought about the Lao/Thai restaurant that I wanted to try. It's within walking distance of my house.

I didn't motivate until almost 9 to go, though, so I drove. I even entertained the thought of going to the Madrone Lounge where Erick was spinning. I didn't make it that far.

I arrived at the Lao/Thai spot and ordered a Catfish Salad and a Green Papaya Salad (Lao style with crab paste mixed in. YUM.)

The portions were HUGE. I had expected a taste of each, but I have dinner tonight. The catfish salad was generous with greens and savory sauce. The papaya salad rocked. Lao style with the crab paste was yummily tasty.

I couldn't finish either, but I had to insist on mango sticky rice dessert.

This made me happy.

And I left the restaurant half-done with "By the River Piedra I Sat and Wept", which I am re-reading after 8 years. It's a Paulo Coelho novel. It's a love story with mysticism/catholicism/goddess-cism rolled in.

I'm re-reading it because I am wondering if I am on the right path and it discusses choices. There's a lot of writing in it, as well.

I came home by 10 and set my alarm for early morning to catch Portugal-Iran this morning.

This morning I snooooooooozed until mid-way through the game.

The announcer was ecstatic.

I was half in Raleigh, wondering how my parents were doing and wishing I could be there with my brother and sister and mother.

Crap. I was going to be late for my doctor's appointment.

By 9:30 I was almost in Berkeley.

My appointment was at 9.

I apologized to Mary Ann. I slumped on the couch and I explained my week.

We developed a strategy about this dad situation.

Off to USA-Italy I went.

I parked, laundry in the car, because that's part of today's plan and walked in.

Ah, yes. My hopes were actually with Italy. I checked in with both Mike and Omer about their thoughts on the Ghana game. 2-0. That game sounded AWESOME. My neighbors were going APE-s--- over that game.

I quickly fell in love with the entire Italian team and Bocanegra from the US team. And enjoyed the game. While I twisted my hair, the US was carded left and right. The Italians fell to injury and mysterious spray stuff was used to ease their pain.

I was disgruntled with all the animation on the screen indicating goal attempts, scoring, World Cup history and scores from other sporting events.



Anywho...Italy scored both goals in the 1-1 game. Beasely from the US was robbed of his goal because of an offsides call and I was satisfied with the match.

Tomorrow I will be cheering Brazil versus Australia and Huy will be hosting breakfast for the lot of us early risers before Denise and I peal off to see Aimee Mann perform at Stern Grove.

Tomorrow will be a good day.

Today will end well, so long as I get some work done here and refill my meds and get some laundry done.


No comments: