Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Alas, Poor Ghana, We Knew You Well

3-0.

I had hoped it would be in Ghana's favor, but I had only heard the opening ads to this morning's match before walking into class today.

I left the classroom and literally asked everyone, "Does anyone know the score to the game?"

One of my classmates, seemingly diseffected and unengagedd for his 10 am class piped up, "3-0. Brazil won."

That knocked the wind out of my sails.

That and getting home at 2 am knocked the wind out of my sails. I woke up at 7. My eyelids are tired. Very, very tired.

But not so much that I can't call my boyfriends of the World Cup.

Other people do pics. I'm going to do boyfriends of the World Cup:
I've taken to USA's Carlos Bocanegra and Ecudaor's Cristian Mora, Brazil's Ze Roberto, Germany's David Odonkor











Boyfriends of the World Cup 2006
Carlos Bocanegra

Just an all-kinds-of-American kinda dude. He's cute and he plays pretty darn good.

Ze Roberto

He has an intense look about him and totally cute twists. He probably is pondering how his foot dance can help produce more bio-fuels for his country.

That's just the beginning...I am behind on my analysis...I know. We're already halfway through the tourney, you say.


Okay, back to the blog bit.



But class was interesting. We will be doing analysis on the movie "Imitation of Life" which is a Disney-fied look at single mothers in the 40s. There's black/white race and gender and class inequality thrown in melodramatically all over the place. It's entertaining and yet speaks to how America was back in the day...or, in some cases, not so back in the day. It'll come to a dramatic conclusion tomorrow. I am psyched.

Can I just say engaging my brain in an academic way, even though my class is at the a$$-crack of dawn is invigorating? I want to take a math class next!

3 comments:

Karen said...

OMG, I really have been a shit friend lately; I had no idea you had gone back to school! You rock! And thanks for the kindness during my latest stupidity/drama/heartbreak. You really, REALLY rock! And I miss you. COME VISIT... please.

wrki said...

We're working on a trip to visit Mr. Mike in October (apparently he popped in this week and Megan and I had a faboo game of Scrabble last night. It was my 4th game and I liked it VERY much! Why didn't my parents know about this friggin' game? Isn't there a Scrabble en espanol?

*giggle*

You're not an S friend, m'dear. Stress is stress. I wasn't really talking to people til earlier this month...lots of the big D, but I think I am coming out of it! And taking more control of moi's destiny. It feels good so far, despite the work.

Success crowns those who seek her. People like you remind me of that and instead of being in comparison mode I find myself in self-assistance mode.

I lost 2 points on my essay for not citing correctly in MLA style. I'm going to combat that, because I followed an online resource...

(Okay, that's my self-help moment for the day. *giggle*)

melati said...

Oh yes, Senor Carlos Bocanegra can slide tackle me any time.

Hubba hubba.