Monday, May 22, 2006

PS to Wednesday Night

I was SO late to dinner with /saMEET/ on Thursday. I didn't want to come empty-handed, so I stopped by Rainbow Grocery for some organic chocolates, bottled water, and Mangosteen juice and a bouquet of dried lavendar (because it's a practical flower to give to men.)

/saMEET/ welcomed me into his home and there were some great posters of concerts in London on the wall as well as pictures from all over the world and some cool indie art. Definitely a bachelor pad, but it had cool accents.

So /saMEET/ made dinner on Thursday night and we tarried a bit listening to some awesome British rock bands including the Shins. He also loves maps, introduced me to the geography of Asia, his travels all over the world (London, Dubai, India, Australia, America...) his take on being a programmer, why he loves the desert, and why his accent is so "weird."

Dude was born in London (which explains the silky smooth British thing going on), but went to college in Texas (which explains the occasional twang that messes with my head, yet it's darling.)

We chatted on his couch and he nervously would look toward the kitchen and the get up to excuse himself to the kitchen.

He leaned in for a kiss and I nervously suggested that we at least eat first. I asked him what was wrong.

He was worried that the fish & chicken curry didn't quite turn out and I giggled and said there was a pizza joint downstairs that I just walked past in case he didn't feel it was up to snuff. In true gentleman form he brought me a sample of the meal and asked for my honest opinion.

My honest opinion?

Sure, the fish was just a little overdone, but I understood what he was trying to do with the seasoning. It was yummy.
The rice was perfect (STOVETOP made, by the way!) and the gravy for the chicken was just a tange sweet, but very yummy. I was happy overall and we ate and listened to more great tunes.

He had Kurt Elling! My ears perked up immediately as he looked for candles in his closet and revealed a little praying place with incense burners, images of gods I can't recall, and some other practical household items. Creating candlelight allowed for the stress of dinner to burn away and I went off into a buzz about jazz and how it's hard to find young people who are into jazz. He sang the words a little bit and I admit I was charmed.

I spoke about my river rafting and we talked about adrenaline rushes in general: motorcycles, mountain biking, sky diving, kite boarding...

On and on!

His experiences at UT, my being an Orangewoman...

I asked about family pictures, he showed me where his family was from on a map, and it was a lovely intellectual exchange.

Finally I asked the hardest question, the AGE question. I figured he was younger...so...I asked...and he said...
29.

29? 29? As in just about 4 years younger? I can live with that! Yee-haw!

We asked about each other's schedules for the weekend: me? On river for the weekend. Him? Running Bay to Breakers with some friends.

We crashed at 3 am. I didn't feel up to driving.

At 6 am I woke up and splashed my face with water. He was impressed that I was awake and asked if I was safe to drive.

Yes. I also needed to change to speak on behalf of Digital Inclusion for the San Francisco TechConnect meeting at 2 pm at City Hall.

I was dragging, but fine on Friday.

Oh, yes, he did lean in for the kiss successfully during our later conversations.

No comments: