Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dusting...

I've been enjoying eclipses and beaches and napping and Friedman's The Lexus and the Olive Tree, so I haven't been writing here.

In the meantime I've also been checking OLD email...and I found this awesomely angsty poem.

Ever just NOT recognize yourself from 5 years ago?

* * * * * * * * * * *
You Are My Valium

The world is crazy.
Am I the only sane one here?
The babble
The garbage
The insanity
All imposing on my Self, my Soul, my Sanity

The healing elements
lose their potency
The Sun
The Land
The Ocean
All free me from the Insanity
But the Insanity closes in,
Overshadowing them.

I turn to Knowledge and Entertainment
to bring my Self, my Soul, my Sanity
to its full strength
Knowledge is a dry companion. Its ego perpetuated by
quantity. He is an acquaintance.
Entertainment is a fairweather companion. Its presence
depends on the haute couture. She, too, a mere
acquaintance.

I bring other Friends along.
Food and Drink. They add to the merriment.
Occupying my body.
Filling my mouth with Cleverness and Flavor.
Filling my mind with Lucidity.
They are fine combine with Knowledge and
Entertainment.

Still. My mind is occupied only for awhile.
Their Charm wears off
and I find Myself weary
of their emptiness.
My Self, my Soul, my Sanity not pacified by them
alone.

My Self, my Soul, my Sanity
placid when I combine you with these things.
You are a mirror upon whom I reflect
these elements of my Life.
You calm me from the World's madness.

You are My Valium.

From April 16, 2002

No comments: