Saturday, May 12, 2007

Romance in New York

We picked up mami from the airport at 10:30 or so this evening and went straight into Manhattan to go dancing.

First destination: S.O.B.s (Sounds of Brazil), but the salsa band was done playing by the time we walked up to the club.

Boo.

Titi had a plan B - Gonzalez y Gonzalez. No cover. The place was packed and the crowd was dancing merengue skirted by onlookers nursing drinks at the bar.

I was feeling passive.

Bobbing my knees and swaying my hips. The men were in their dress shirts and slacks and the women were in their sexy-licious.

I love being in a space with all Latinos. The standard of beauty has a broader scope. Hips are an asset, breasts are an asset, and every woman has self-esteem enough to wear tight clothes and is brough to the dance floor.

Tonight I had three dance partners. This is more than I have had in the last 5 months dancing at Luka's. I don't mind dancing alone, but I love it when a good salsa lead makes twirling and moving so easy. I danced salsa, merengue and bachata. I really missed bachata for its precision and simplicity and ultimately romantic lyrics.

Then the band came on. I found my mami and my titi talking at the bar and hung a bit with them. My wanderlust set in, though. I had the hankering for late night New York pizza.

And I left the club to follow along Broadway. 4 blocks away was a New York mainstay and I aimed to get my NY slice of pizza.

The weather was still balmy from this evening's earlier thunderstorms. A little sticky and warm and lightened by the breeze.

Along the way I actually received cat calls from construction workers and dudes in SUVs. I walked in my black boots, grey skirt and New York City Girl tank top from Wong's. I walked with purpose.

And I was stopped by Chris (real name: Q____) who told me in his smart shirt and slacks that he loved my hair.

He kissed my hand and asked me out to a drink. I told him I was on my way to grab a slice of pizza and he was welcome to come along.

I wasn't creeped out at all. It seemed perfectly normal that I would ask a New Yorker to accompany me for my pizza excursion.

He explained that he was a classical musician and kept commenting on my hair and I smiled and blushed in a girlie kind of way.

As we walked back to the club in the middle of a smaller street he gallantly drew me to him and kissed me gently on the lips.

I was taken aback, shy about it, and thought to myself that I didn't make it a full year without being kissed.

He clasped my hand as we continued to walk back to Gonzalez y Gonzalez where I knew my Titi and Mami would be worried about me. He told me about his music and I told him I was a teacher.

We leaned against the building as I finished my pizza and made small talk. My Titi and Mami came out and seemed relieved to find me. I introduced Qrisi to them. They went to get the car. I finished my pizza.

Q___ told me I needed to come to New York and stay a week. He cooks. He's a classical musician and has beautiful eyes.

How lovely. My first New York romance, however so brief.

No comments: